Running in Tokyo with RunKeeper! - Vikingess Voyages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Running in Tokyo with RunKeeper!


I recently started working out using an iPhone application called RunKeeper, a smart device that uses GPS to track you while you're out running. With this application you can get detailed feedback about your run; you see how fast you've been running, the route you've used and a lot of other details. I used to dislike running quite a lot (I'm more into dancing and martial arts), but thanks to this application (and my boyfriend, who enjoys running a lot more than I do..) I've started to at least get the motivation to go running once a week. It's not that much, but still a lot more than nothing I suppose.

Running is also a nice way to rediscover your city! Or in my case, since I'm still quite new to Tokyo, a way to discover new areas of the city. Tokyo is certainly a massive concrete jungle, but the metropolis also boosts of some wonderful parks, temples and shrines that are within reach if you decide to go out for a jog. My favorites so far includes the Ueno Koen park and the Imperial Palace, but there are of course many other options out there as well.
Having a break by the Imperial Palace with my boyfriend.
The Imperial Palace is a popular place among joggers in Tokyo
Ueno Koen is the place I visit most often, both because it is closer to home but also because there are so much to see both during daytime and during the night. The Bentendo temple is pretty nice to look at during the day, but absolutely marvelous during night when its light is reflected in the pond (no wonder why so many couples come here to hang out in the evening).


I then use RunKeeper to keep track on how fast I'm running. Once in a while the application provides me with audio feedback on how far I've been running and my pace. This makes it easier to keep on running even during the latter part of the run when my motivation is low. I've included some screenshots of the application below:





Bentensan in Ueno Koen
You can find RunKeeper in the iTunes App Store.

Other related blogposts:
Jogging around the Imperial Palace

Random Tokyo Picture: A cute statue outside Korakuen Station

Related blogposts


Recommended Hotels in Tokyo

Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome
Bunka Hostel Tokyo
Bunka Hostel
Tokyo
Sotetsu Fresa Inn Nihombashi-Ningyocho
Sotetsu Fresa Inn Nihombashi
Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel
Ryokan Asakusa Shigetsu Hotel

Author Image

About Anette
Anette came to Japan as an exchange student in 2010, met the love of her life and got stuck. From her base in Tokyo she writes about her experiences as a full-time worker in Tokyo and about her travels in Japan and abroad. She's a free-spirited adventurer who enjoys both the great outdoors and her urban lifestyle.

  • 0Disqus Comment
  • Facebook Comment

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

comments powered by Disqus

About Me

Adventures ofAnette


A modern day shield-maiden who loves to explore the unbeaten paths of the world. From her base in Tokyo, Anette takes on both rural and urban challenges, and goes by the motto "No challenge too big, no adventure too small"!
・Read more →




Recent Posts

recentposts

Random Posts

randomposts