About my Rehabilitation in Kyoto - Vikingess Voyages

Monday, April 2, 2012

About my Rehabilitation in Kyoto

It has been a month since I broke my shoulder while surfing in Bali, and although my arm is much better it is still a long way to go until I can fully recover from the accident.
After returning to Japan I spent almost two weeks living with Yuma's family in Kobe, and that really helped me a lot. I know it would have been very tough to live by myself during the first weeks after the accident, and I'm very glad and thankful for all the help I received from Yuma and his parents.
We went a couple of times to a local clinic in Kobe where the doctor did some check-ups to make sure that everything was like it should.
なか整形外科医院
After returning to Kyoto I have been going twice a week to a clinic called Naka Orthopaedic Clinic (なか整形外科医院) not too far from my school. Here I'm basically doing easy exercise with my arm, and they have trained staff who helps me increase my mobility. I'm improving a little bit at a time, although I still can't lift my arm 90 degrees it is still getting better day by day. Naturally there are some things that one usually takes for granted, such as styling one's hair or put on nice clothes, that really has turned out to be a challenge for me in these past weeks. I can't even do a ponytail, since I can't reach the back of my head, and I need zippers or buttons to be able to put on a sweater. It's almost a bit comical..
I do also feel that the plate in my shoulder somewhat blocks my movements, although this might be a mental block rather than a physical one.. As soon as the bone in my shoulder has completely healed (which will take between 3-4 months) I hope that I can have another surgery to get the metal plate inside my shoulder removed.
For now all I can do is to let the time do it's job, and keep on doing easy exercises every day. 頑張らないと!
The exercise room in the clinic I go to for rehabilitation. Both pictures in this post are taken from their website
Author Image

About Anette
Anette came to Japan as an exchange student in 2010, met the love of her life and got stuck. From her base in Tokyo she writes about her experiences as a full-time worker in Tokyo and about her travels in Japan and abroad. She's a free-spirited adventurer who enjoys both the great outdoors and her urban lifestyle.

  • 0Disqus Comment
  • Facebook Comment

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

comments powered by Disqus

About Me

Adventures ofAnette


A modern day shield-maiden who loves to explore the unbeaten paths of the world. From her base in Tokyo, Anette takes on both rural and urban challenges, and goes by the motto "No challenge too big, no adventure too small"!
・Read more →




Recent Posts

recentposts

Random Posts

randomposts