Sightseeing in Hungary: Vác - Vikingess Voyages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sightseeing in Hungary: Vác

About half an hour by train from Budapest there is a small town called Vác where you can experience a relaxing atmosphere with the local Hungarians. Every summer in the last week of July they also have festivals in the town, which attracts visitors from near and far. The locals like spending the summer nights in the pubs and you can easily hang out in the main square situated not too far from the train station, or perhaps have a beer while enjoying the view of the Danube river.

A photo of the main square, where you also can see the remains of some of Vác historical buildings beneath the glass floor.


The main square again..!

The relaxing atmosphere of Vác



My stepmother is Hungarian, and her relatives all live in or close to Vác. Every time I've visited the city I have been taken really good care of, and enjoyed the time spent with my extended family here. Vác is situated in the vicinity of many interesting tourists destinations as well, so it has been easy to experience a lot of Hungary during my previous stay. But of course, with my 3 years living in Asia it has been a rather long time since I last had the chance to go for a visit. This time I spent most of my time with my brother in Budapest so I didn't visit any other famous tourist destinations, but I did enjoy a lovely day with my extended family in their home.

 
The Danube seen from the house of my Hungarian family

Green great landscape!

My expended family has a huge garden where they keep all sorts of animals, like goats, peacocks and deers. Recently the family took in a baby deer that had been abandoned by its mother, and the baby deer has become completely tame. I got to pet it and hold it, and it is soooo cute! I've always been a big animal lover and a tree hugger (haha..), so getting the chance to hold Bambi (yeah, that's his name^^) was one of the biggest highlights of my trip.
Me and Bambi. He's sooo adorable!! 

Bambi came to greet us as soon as he saw us entering his garden^^

Unfortunately my stay in Hungary this time was rather short, but I know I'll definitely have the chance to return here again some time in the future. I had a great time visiting my brother in Budapest and my extended family in Vác, and I'm already looking forward to the next visit. Next up: Norway and Latvia!
A collage of a couple of my photos from Hungary.

Other posts:
Sightseeing in Budapest: Giraffe Hop on Hop off City Tour
Author Image

About Anette
Anette came to Japan as an exchange student in 2010, met the love of her life and got stuck. From her base in Tokyo she writes about her experiences as a full-time worker in Tokyo and about her travels in Japan and abroad. She's a free-spirited adventurer who enjoys both the great outdoors and her urban lifestyle.

  • 0Disqus Comment
  • Facebook Comment

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

comments powered by Disqus

About Me

Adventures ofAnette


A modern day shield-maiden who loves to explore the unbeaten paths of the world. From her base in Tokyo, Anette takes on both rural and urban challenges, and goes by the motto "No challenge too big, no adventure too small"!
・Read more →




Recent Posts

recentposts

Random Posts

randomposts