I'm getting hospitalized tomorrow! - Vikingess Voyages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm getting hospitalized tomorrow!

Some of my readers out there might already know the story about how I broke my shoulder when I was surfing in Bali during spring break. Since the collar bone broke close to the joint I had to go through surgery, and now I have a pretty big metal plate in my shoulder..

I have been going to rehabilitation twice a week ever since, but I still cannot lift my arm more than 70 degrees, even though it has been almost four months. The latest x-rays showed that the bone in my shoulder finally has healed, and the doctor recommended me having a new surgery as soon as possible in order to get rid of the metal plate.

Apparently they don't use this method in Japan anymore, and my physiotherapist didn't really understand why I wasn't able to lift my arm. However, my doctor suggested that the size and form of the plate is hindering my range of movement, and that I probably won't be able to lift my arm again if I don't have another surgery. Even though the bone in the shoulder has healed, it seems that the pain gets stronger every day I wake up in the morning, so I'm actually really looking forward to getting this over with!

I'm going to stay in hospital at least for four days, and I fear that it'll be rather boring..The thing is, when it comes to a Japanese hospital (or perhaps its just mine?), they do have quite a lot of strict rules one has to be aware of. Some of the rules are;
・携帯電話(メールも含む)は医院ではしようしないで下さい。
(Please abstain from using your mobile phone, including messaging, while in hospital)
・外部からの電話は緊急時以外は取り次ぎいたしません。
(No external phone calls will be received unless in the case of emergency)
・外出・外泊は院長の許可を受けて下さい。
(Director's permission is needed in order to leave the building or stay overnight somewhere else)

To be honest, it almost feels like I'm heading to prison, not a hospital! Haha..

But at least the clinic has a good reputation, and I'll be happy as long as I can leave with my shoulder in one piece next week.. ;P
This will be my new home for the next four days..


Author Image

About Anette
Anette came to Japan as an exchange student in 2010, met the love of her life and got stuck. From her base in Tokyo she writes about her experiences as a full-time worker in Tokyo and about her travels in Japan and abroad. She's a free-spirited adventurer who enjoys both the great outdoors and her urban lifestyle.

  • 0Disqus Comment
  • Facebook Comment

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

comments powered by Disqus

About Me

Adventures ofAnette


A modern day shield-maiden who loves to explore the unbeaten paths of the world. From her base in Tokyo, Anette takes on both rural and urban challenges, and goes by the motto "No challenge too big, no adventure too small"!
・Read more →




Recent Posts

recentposts

Random Posts

randomposts